- One should really not drive a lot when you've only had two hours of sleep. Seriously. I had no business being on the road yesterday, particularly for the first couple of hours of the drive.
- Music choice is important. I started out the drive listening to loud RAWRy music. This was failing to keep me awake. Sometime around the Maryland border, I switched tactics, and moved to music I knew the lyrics to and could sing along with, generally at a very loud volume (both the music and the singing). This worked much better, and became my stay-awake tactic for the rest of the trip. (And I have now ruined any chance of anyone roadtripping with me, ever.)
- Driving leaves entirely too much time to think. Especially when you don't particularly want to be left alone with your thoughts.
- My brain associates 'long drive' with 'smoking'. And that wasn't tense. Nope. Not at all.
- Any day that involves driving on the New Jersey Turnpike really can't be a good day. Not much more to say there.
- RCN's corporate headquarters are located near a cow farm. This explains a lot, I feel.
- It is very unnerving to be outclassed. I was the only person in the meeting yesterday who wasn't at least a director, if not a VP or Senior VP. Neep.
- I work for a stupid company. But that's another rant.
- There is at least one pretty spot in New Jersey. I have pictures to prove it.
- Pee when you can. No. Really. When you pass a rest stop in Baltimore, and think, "Hm. I have to pee," do not immediately follow that thought up with, "But, if I keep driving, then I won't have to stop, and then maybe I will miss some of the rush hour traffic." Because, see, you will get stuck in the rush hour traffic, and you will still have to pee. This is not a good combination.
- Getting run off the road sucks. But, it beats getting smooshed by the gigantic semi. So.
- But... getting run off the road can lead you down roads you wouldn't have otherwise taken... Leading you to see inexplicable road signs you would not have otherwise seen.
- And after driving 430 miles to end up right back where you started, all to attend a 3 hour meeting... The last thing you really want to do is go to the office and work on purchase orders. Really. This is not fun.
- Friends rule. People who will listen to you rant about your spectacularly crappy day and offer reassurance and murmuring sounds of comfort make it all better.
Theories and observations.
Originally published at $ cd ~meri. You can comment here or there. TL;DR: meri receives a knitting advent calendar in the mail,…
Originally published at $ cd ~meri. You can comment here or there. TL;DR: In which I once again discover that I have not, in fact,…
Originally published at $ cd ~meri. You can comment here or there. “Sure!” says my brain. “The edging you’ve worked out…