Chunky Vegetable Chili
(Blatantly stolen from "Slow Cookers for Dummies")
This chili, which is like a bowl of very thick vegetable soup, combines some of our favorite beans along with a rich, spicy tomato broth for added zest and flavor. you can be creative when you make this dish by adding other vegetables that may be in season or in your refrigerator.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: Low 7 to 8 hours
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground chili pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed under cold water
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed under cold water
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed under cold water
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups spicy tomato juice or Bloody Mary mix
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves only, chopped
- Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Spray a 6-quart slow cooker with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and peppers and cook until soft, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the carrots, celergy, chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, and salt. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Place teh cooked vegetables in the slow cooker. Add the black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, and tomato juice. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7 to 8 hours, or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the cilantro before serving. If desired, garnish with the cheddar cheese.
I tend to leave out the bell peppers, since Vger finds them offensive, but otherwise, it's terrific. I, of course, futz with the seasonings, but I'm a mutant like that.